Geology/specimen identification

Question
unknown specimen
unknown specimen  
My four year old son found this . Could you shed some light on what it might be?

Answer
This rock is quartz/chert with a pyrolusite coating. The rock itself is quartz/chert SiO2 the most common mineral on earth with minor amounts of iron (turning the quartz red). Quartz is clear with no tract minerals contained.  

Pyrolusite is a mineral consisting essentially of manganese dioxide (MnO2) and is important as an ore of manganese. It is a black, amorphous appearing mineral, often with a granular, fibrous or columnar structure, sometimes forming reniform crusts (your rock).  It has a metallic luster, a black or bluish-black streak, and readily soils the fingers. The specific gravity is about 4.8. Its name is from the Greek for fire and to wash, in reference to its use as a way to remove tints from glass. Pyrolusite is the mineral that coats much of the Inter-mountain west's cliffs and is called desert varnish. Pyrolusite is also found in botryoidal and dendritic habits.  

Geology

Joe Norris