Geology/Follow up question about well site fluorescence evaluation.

Thanks for last answer for differentiating fluorescence of sample from oil based mud. Also I would like to ask that is there any reliable equipment that are used at well site in mudlogging unit to identify whether the oil show is from reservior or from oil based mud.

Another question is that what are the main parameter to be monitored during coring operation. What is the main QC required for coring job.

Thanking you in advance.

With warm regards

ANSWER: Dear Rahul,
Thanks for your interest and sending me new question.

Adding to my previous answer, please note that wellsite mudlogging unit almost all are equipped with Total Gas Detector (TGD) and Chromatograph which are very useful instruments for hydrocarbon detection. Once drilling starts with oil based mud you will observe the increased total gas readings on TGD and their compositional break up on the Chromatograph from C1, C2, C3, ic4, nC4, and C5. (Methan, Ethane, Propane iso Butan,N-butance and Pentane). Through the time lighter component of gasses (c1-c3) will start to circulate out and their readings will gradually decrease to low level. So you get to keep the record of the changing baseline from higher gas values to lower gas values on TGD and Chromatograph charts. Formation gas if enters through the well bore a kick from the gas baseline will be recorded on both instruments with significantly higher C1 values than before and after few minutes the increased C1 values will try to catch up the previous baseline and itís also possible kicks would start increasing after first kick and followed by another kicks or cycles. Anything above the baseline should be considered as change of the fluid system either the source of the   new event is from formation or addition has made in oil in circulation system from surface. (Keep checking from mud engineer and floor man about any additional chemical or oil addition in mud system)

The fundamental quality control for coring is the core point selection which is the key decision as nobody likes to take a core in wrong lithology for wasting precious time and hell lot of money. Therefore, it needs to be ensured the right lithology before pulling out of hole and running core barrel in. Drill few feet inside the desired lithology and after confirming when it bottoms up and only then run core barrel. While coring monitoring of rate of penetration, gas detection and lithology examination are essential. Though, very little amount of rock cutting comes out of hole but whatever comes to the surface should be examined.  Once coring operations completes every care should be taken to collect and preserve the core out of core barrel and marked depths properly on the core boxes. Few chips should be cut from the core on every foot or so for quick examination and interpretation

Thanks for the reply.

If we are drilling exploratory well which LWD tools you would recommend to use  to identify zone of interest of coring.

Thanks and regards

The LWD too can take several measurements including natural Gamma Ray, Spectral Gamma Ray, Electrical resistivity, Density and Neutorn. Gamma Ray is the best tool to identify the lithology and I would recommend to observe closely the GR response while taking core decision followed by sample examination and description at the well site.

Hope this answer helps.

Please do not forhet to RATE this answer.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist