Geology/geology

Question
sir
plz tell me about straigraphy of khairpur district

Answer
Dear Shakeel,

Please find the attached image about the Stratigraphy of district Khairpur which is self explanatory. (reference: AAPG Bulletin V 93, No 5, May 2009 pp-595-615. Berger A. et. al)

The limestone of Kirthar Formation of Upper-Middle Eocene age is the the first lithological unit in subsurface and aslo exposed to several places including in Khairpur and Sukkur-Rohri area which forms a major structural or basement high which indicates that no marine deposition has taken place since Late Eocene time.

The oldest known rocks which have been drilled in this area so far is Jurassic age Chiltan Formation limestone. Beside post Eocene unconformity Tertiary-Cretaceous unconformity is also  observed with diagnostic presence of scattered volcanics depsoits in Early Paleocene  by rifting whereas Upper Jurassic- Lower Cretaceous unconformity also suggest that area has been significantly affected by tectonic uplifting first due to rifting and later during Tertiary due to compressional events through Himalayan orogeny which have in reality reactivated older rift faults in the region and lead to develop transpressional type faults system.

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany