Geology/Water forming on Earth

As best I understand it, water formed when the earth formed but the process was rather quick compared to the solids of the earth.  Is there any geology that might give me a clue how long it took and in what period of the earth formation water was formed?

I am guessing if you could solve these questions you would be a very famous (at least in geological circles) man.............  

I think these are the types of mysteries that geologists are tryign to solve.

You could do a little reading on oxygen isotopes.  These are markers that we can read to help understand the atmosphere at different times and in concert with other evidence they can help us build a story.

Fraser Hamilton

I have over 15 years of professional experience in the environmental geology field. I am well versed in general geology types of questions and answers. In addition I have a keen understanding of physical stratigraphy (especially in the Valley and Ridge of Central PA) and cycles.

Eight years of education, fifteen years of professional experience. Have worked or studied in ME, PA, TX, KY, IN, TN, OH, WA and Scotland.

Geological Society of America
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Properties Magazine
Cleveland Bar Association
Cleveland Engineering Society

BA Geology/Math, University of Maine at Farmington
MA Geology - Physical Stratigraphy, Temple University
Post Grad Studies Geology - Texas A&M University

Distinguished graduate teaching award, Temple University