Geology/Drainage area of a well

sir how we estimate the drainage area of a well and then gave a new well point which well not effect the old one?

Drainage area of well is the circumference aroud the well which feed oil, gas and water towards well bore to flow.

As a thumb rule, 640 acres or 1 squrae mile area is considered a drainage area but it depends on the measure of permeability of the reservoir. This means in a tight reservoir wells spacing may be reduced to 400 to 350 acres. In the case of 640 acres drainage area, two wells should be half a mile apart to drain the fluids effectively. Be mindful about the permeability of the flow unit in the field.

Hope, this may help.

Gratifyingly, expect this answer rating from you.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist