Geology/Career planning

QUESTION: Sir, i am Well site Geologist from Pakistan and working in Mud Logging Company. As i started my career with Mud Logging Company, so my practical insight in exploration is very limited. Sir, I am struggling to move to E & P company as Reservoir Geologist/Exploration Geologist. would you please guide me how to achieve this target?
Your guideline will be very helpful for me to keep me on right track.
Thanks & Regards

ANSWER: Mr. Geologist,

This is a real problem in the Industry. More opportunities are in the opertions side, like drilling and the geophysical surveys. Those who were good students, and did not waste their time get competitive results and land in better job, both technically and financially. The remaining lot ends up in project oriented assignments. But that is now history in your case.

There is only one possibility, if at all, but it has a long lag time. The option you have is to frequently write technical papers, present them in different seminar and conferences. The Industry would know that you exist, they will know what caliber you have, and someday someone may ask you to join them for an office job. Then you have a chance of mingling with exploration and reservoir people and learn the applied  side of their activities, and with devotion gradually change to your field of interest. Patience and devotion, to your cause, is the key!

Regret there is no short-cut unless you have a very strong contact at your back who might recommend you! It is unfortunate, but a fact!

Best of luck.

QUESTION: Thanks a lot Sir for your guideline. Sir, In Shaa Allah, I will follow your guidelines.
Sir, Would you please give me a bit more detail, where to submit technical paper? Should I make membership in PAPG or SPE? Is there any other forum where may I get registered?

Sir, it is also requested to give your opinion on my though that if I try to get internship in Reservoir Department of any E & P company and make
exercises with devotion, would it be helpful and makes my path easier?
Sir, as I have good understanding of well site operations, may I get a job of Operation Geologist in Operator company without having a deep insight in exploration?
Thanks & Regards

ANSWER: Mr. Geoloist,

You do not necessarily have to be a member of any technical forum to submit your papers.

The problem is that your 'exercises with devotion' phase comes after you get the internship or any job; and that's is the first thing to look after!

As I explained in my previous answer that you have to prove to the industry that you exist, and then the job becomes easier.

Please do not get annoyed with my frank answer. That's what the life is in this competitive world!

QUESTION: Its my pleasure to get an advice on practical ground. Sir, I need more guidance from you. I am confused now how to get started with writing a technical paper. There are few questions in my mind. Sir, as my approach to exploration is not good, so how may I present a technical paper that inspires the exploration professionals in the Industry? May I try something from Operations? And I am working outside Pakistan with 2 months on & 1 month off, so I need some institute or industry to take some data/ to conduct some homework for presenting the paper, how may I step in to do so? I may submit some of case history from operation side that happened outside Pakistan?
Thanks & Regards

Mr. Geologist,

The key to good writing is what one of the Editors of the daily Dawn said, and I quote
"To write well Sir, you have to read well Sir!" So read as much as you can on the subject and otherwise.

You write a paper on your subject of interest. The best thing for a start is to deal with a case history. Because then you already have considerable material to write on, and then you add  the pros and cons of the method along with your conclusions and recommendations.

Now you have enough advice from an Expert, so get along and start the work accordingly.  

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).