Geology/Petroleum Geology

Question
Assalam o Alaikum Sir,
I am in final year of geology ,after learning the basics of petroleum geology i want to learn about how it is applied in professional world. Please refer me some literature regarding petroleum prospects of particularly Pakistan and generally global prospects, and recent developments, books,company profiles,links,papers,magazines etc ,anything would be appreciated.
Thanks
Regards Hasan

Answer
DEAR HASAN,

WALIUK ASSALAM

Thanks for sending your question. I can give you a summary of the application of petroleum geology in the real world.
Only two examples from several other important aspects which I believe are very crucial;

Petroleum exploration requires strong concepts of geology particularly those processes which are essentially controlled by geology. For example reservoir rocks occurrence and its characterization is related to Sedimentation and sedimentology; this subject helps you to predict the location of type of reservoirs and their probable locations in subsurface on the various geological time. Structure Geology and tectonics help you to understand about the traps and their style and also enable you to predict their  location and determine related issues.

What I mean to say that everything you have read in books of geology you will find more or less same thing you will find in petroleum professional life while engaged in petroleum exploration but instead of being qualitatively ranking (large to medium or from good to bad sort of terms) any reservoir or trap you should be able to show the quantitative analysis (have to describe in certain size in sq kms/sq miles or giving range of reservoir quality in porosity percent).

Traps need to be explored through 2 or 3D seismic technology that image the subsurface geology and through its interpretation it is possible to locate structures or stratigraphic traps to drill. In a drilled well wireline logs will help you to characterize the reservoir (depth, thickness, porosity and permeability etc)

The best site for reading recent and advance research papers or publications is the www.aapg.org (AAPG website) or www.searchanddiscovery.com

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany