Dear Sir, Assalam-o-Alaikum,

Wish you will be enjoying good health and every thing would be fine.

Sir, what is your opinion about the recent discovery H.C discovery in the Potohar basin near Jhelum,? As everyone is claiming its the largest oil field discovery in the history of Pakistan and can this area become a future prospect for such a large H.C reserves?

Walikum assalam

I don't have all the information which requires to comment professionally but I will try to answer this question with limited information.

I read this news in and was really amazing flow rate for any oil with 22 API gravity. This is a heavy oil and not unique as other neighboring discoveries (Kal, Rajian, Balkassar, Chak Naurang) also have high asphaltic crude varying in API between 12 to 26).

Reservoir is Early Eocene Sakesar carbonates which was initially found tight and flowed probably 1200 BOPD on testing, that warranted to acidize to get production. Well tested 5500 BOPD which is excellent flow rate after acidization in Potwar basin considering the crude nature is heavy. I know Pindori flowed 5500 to 6000 BOPD  after acidization from fractured Chorgaly and Sakesar formations

According to Daily Dawn, MPCL has reported that field, Ghauri, may have upto 22MMBO reserves which means that the size of the pool could be quite bigger, probably to the magnitude of 40 to 80 sq km and the In Place oil would be around 180 to 220 MMBO (considering the heavy nature of crude the recovery factor would be around 8% to 15 %.

The true size of the field and reserves would only be known through pressure testing followed by the drilling of at  least two to four appraisal wells to determine Oil up to and water down to.

Based on limited information this field indeed appears to be large probably of the size of Balkassar. Reservoir fracture network looks  efficient that allows fluids to flow with high rate towards well bore.

Interestingly, Early Cambrian Kussak sandstone also have hydrocarbon though it was difficult to produce. This discovery has stimulated  exploration activities in eastern Potwar that requires  a fresh look to all old drilled wells and undrilled prospects and leads and new seismic to find new prospects.

If I would ever have a chance to see the structure map and logs I can definitely say more with certainty but its my opinion based on very limited news item I have found in a newspaper.

Hope this answer will be helpful.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist