Geology/Reserve_Estimations

Question
Dear Sir, Assalam-o-Alaikum,

Wish you will be enjoying good health and every thing would be fine.

Sir, what is your opinion about the recent discovery H.C discovery in the Potohar basin near Jhelum,? As everyone is claiming its the largest oil field discovery in the history of Pakistan and can this area become a future prospect for such a large H.C reserves?

Answer
Walikum assalam

I don't have all the information which requires to comment professionally but I will try to answer this question with limited information.

I read this news in www.dawn.com and was really amazing flow rate for any oil with 22 API gravity. This is a heavy oil and not unique as other neighboring discoveries (Kal, Rajian, Balkassar, Chak Naurang) also have high asphaltic crude varying in API between 12 to 26).

Reservoir is Early Eocene Sakesar carbonates which was initially found tight and flowed probably 1200 BOPD on testing, that warranted to acidize to get production. Well tested 5500 BOPD which is excellent flow rate after acidization in Potwar basin considering the crude nature is heavy. I know Pindori flowed 5500 to 6000 BOPD  after acidization from fractured Chorgaly and Sakesar formations

According to Daily Dawn, MPCL has reported that field, Ghauri, may have upto 22MMBO reserves which means that the size of the pool could be quite bigger, probably to the magnitude of 40 to 80 sq km and the In Place oil would be around 180 to 220 MMBO (considering the heavy nature of crude the recovery factor would be around 8% to 15 %.

The true size of the field and reserves would only be known through pressure testing followed by the drilling of at  least two to four appraisal wells to determine Oil up to and water down to.

Based on limited information this field indeed appears to be large probably of the size of Balkassar. Reservoir fracture network looks  efficient that allows fluids to flow with high rate towards well bore.

Interestingly, Early Cambrian Kussak sandstone also have hydrocarbon though it was difficult to produce. This discovery has stimulated  exploration activities in eastern Potwar that requires  a fresh look to all old drilled wells and undrilled prospects and leads and new seismic to find new prospects.

If I would ever have a chance to see the structure map and logs I can definitely say more with certainty but its my opinion based on very limited news item I have found in a newspaper.

Hope this answer will be helpful.

Regards  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany