salaam sir i am from balochistan i hve complet my 12 year education
i m confused to choose a program
sir kindly inform me about BS geology
is bs geology has best scope in future or not.....?
and diffrence b/w BS geology and petroleum engineering

How good are you in Maths? Your choice depends on this question.

The simple sequence of events in oil exploration is as under:
A Geologist selects a prospective area, on which seismic surveys are conducted. A Geophysicist then interprets the seismic data to find out the subsurface geological and structural conditions. The Geologist and the Geophysicist then join hands to select the best possible location to drill the well. When a discovery is made then the Reservoir Engineers establish the potential of the discovery through testing, and subject to being commercial a well pattern is designed, and appraisal wells are drilled. The field is then handed-over to the production department.

Presently, a lot of work is being done to maximize production from the existing fields where a Geologist's role is minimum. A Geophysicists re-interprets the seismic data, may acquire new data and find subtle structures/traps, which may be drilled. Meanwhile, the Petroleum and the Reservoir Engineers look out for more sophisticated methods and apply those to maximize the production from the existing wells.

Maths is an essential requirement for Geophysicists, and all the more for the P/R Engineers.

So, in the above scenario I would priority-wise  recommend Petroleum Engineering, Geophysicist, Geology. But you must get some extra hours for geology, if you go for Geophysics.

Quaide-e-Azam University, Islamabad is preferred for Geophysics.

BUITMS has the PGED department too. I am not sure what is he standard of faculty there. Otherwise NED, Lahore could be the choice.

For these two choices you should have good command on Maths.

The most important thing is that whatever your choice may be you must endeavor to get a CGPA above 3.5/4. It is a highly competitive market and it is all in your hands, and on how best you utilize your time during education.

Best of luck  

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).