Geology/petroleum geology

dear sir
   which type of sandstone acts as excellent reservoir and in which environment such sandstones deposit?

Thanks for your sending me your question.

An ideal sandstone reservoir should have high porosity (between 22 to 30%) and high permeability (greater than 500 Md). Sandstone without or minor cementation or slightly compacted are considered excellent reservoir. However, most of the sandstone which are buried deeper started to reduce their intrinsic porosity and permeability to the load of the overburden.

It is estimated that up to 10 percent original porosity reduced for a kilometer, that sandstone deposited by terrestrial environment particularly by Eolian dune processes (deposition by wind and usually in the desert conditions) have notably higher porosity and permeability. Secondly, any sandstone which deposited distantly off the water table usually possesses the best porosity and permeability.

Two very famous and world class sandstone reservoir of the world  with  terrestrial deposition environment are  Rotliegend formation (Carboniferous age) North Sea and Unayzah formation (Permian age) Saudi Arabia.

Hope this will answer your question.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist