Geology/What is the rock

Question
Rock
Rock  
Rock
Rock  
QUESTION: I picked up this rock I find them all the time looks like the rocks you seen the Indians using  for arrows it's black like glass and as some blues in it can you help

ANSWER: Michael

Where in Ohio are you picking these up?  That answer helps a lot in making the identification....

But, they look like chert or some other similar material.  You are right, these would be used for arrowheads

Thanks

QUESTION: Wheelersburg Ohio ..on the Ohio river we find rocks with fish and shells  all the time

Answer
Michael

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I think that what you have found is chert or some sort of other concretion often found in these conditions.  These types of rocks would be consistent with what the Indians would use to make tools.

Fraser

Geology

Fraser Hamilton