Geology/Field geology

Dear sir,
hope you are best of your health. sir my question is how can we differentiate between Kussak formation  sandstone and Khewra sandstone at well site and also how can we differentiate gyspum and anhydrite.
waitng for your responce

Dear raheel,

The Early Cambrian Kussak formation is composed of relatively soft, green grey and purple, glauconitic
sandstone and shales. the glauconite is the very important identifying mineral. The Khewra sandstone of Lower early Cambrian age is purplish-brown, thick-bedded, fine to medium grained, well-sorted sandstone with sparse clay bands and concretionary layers in the upper part. Lower part of the formation consists of red, thin bedded mudstone and fine grained sandstone.

While drilling, Khewra formation can be very easily picked on the basis of its dominant purple color sandstone and even a child can pick it easily.

Answering your other question, I am inserting a link of the same question I answered few years ago and hopefully it helps

Please do not forget to RATE this answer.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist