Geology/Msc Petroleum Geology

QUESTION: Sir I am graduate Geological Engineer, my favorite field is well site geology(mud logging).want to further study (Msc Petroleum Geology).what is the future of mud loggers in Pakistan.

ANSWER: Dear Jawad,

Thanks for your question and I 'm glad to see your interest in Petroleum Geology. My apology for delayed response.

Mud logging is considered as one of the important job for fresh graduates and engineers who can learn well site geology and drilling operations. Most of the experienced petroleum geologist have done mud logging in their initial years of industry.

The mud logging units are usually assigned to almost all exploratory wells and some time to appraisal and development wells in the world to monitor and record subsurface geology and drilling data.

Exploration and development drilling has been increased in last two decades from 30 to 40 wells to 100 to 150 wells in Pakistan; means more mud logging units and more geologist to man those units will be required but it's difficult for me to assess what will be the annual requirement of fresh or less experienced geologist to work on those units.Indeed job opportunities will increase in near future.

As I said earlier, mud logging helps young geologist to learn but later they must have to move to more responsible positions such as working for oil exploration companies.

Hope this answer helps.

QUESTION: Thanks for reply

Sir I want to go for higher study now I am confused about taking subject.for MSc can I take science (Petroleum geology) or continue applied science Geological Engineering.also please let me know about MS in Petroleum Engineering.

I would advice you study Petroleum Engineering (PE) which has increasing application in the petroleum industry. The demands of PE has been increased many fold in the last few years due to more complex nature of drilling and well completions practices.

The nature of job of a PE is very diversified but depending your own interest you can choose any or you may be  assigned certain task according to your degree specialization or company requirement.

Well designing and drilling, well servicing and rig move, well completion and testing, HSE, reservoir engineering and petrophysics are few of the key tasks which a PE may perform.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist