Geology/field of geology

Question
Salam sir
I have done BS geophysics now i want to do MS in geology kindly guide me regarding this.

Answer
Dear Omair,

Thanks for sending me your question.

In reality, your question's answer depends what are your expectations for your career.

Since you earned first degree in geophysics which means that during your studies you have great deal of exposure to the theories of the geophysical principles, processes and their applications. Also, you have attained knowledge about fundamental geophysical data acquisition methodology whereas you must have been taught geology as well.So now your earth science building block is based some what strongly on geophysics and slightly less stronger on geology. Though I believe that in nutshell, there is much less geophysics than geology in reality because anything related to subsurface, i.e, history, structure, tectonics, minerals, water, metals ores, oil and gas, falls in geology. So your knowledge should be based in strong geology. Since the courses of both geology and geophysics are generally designed to supplement each other.

I think doing masters in geology will allow you to fill the gaps if there are any during your bachelors program. For fulfilling requirement for masters degree you need to submit a technical project for acceptance you may choose a subject that covers geology and geophysics both; an industrial project will help you to gain good experience in geological and geophysical interpretation methodology and reaching commercially oriented decisions.

It's essential for you to understand and realize the significance that modern petroleum geologist working for any oil and gas exploration company is required to be equally good geophysicist and geologist at the same time.

Hopefully, your masters in geology goes well and I endorse your MS Geology proposal.

Best of luck  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany