Geology/Rock identification

I found this rock in back yard while planting a tree. I have not been able to identify and wondered if you can help me. It has red streaks through it and feels smooth. Edges are not sharp and also some places opaque. Light does show when flash light applied. Not real heavy but feels solid. Smaller piece broke off

From the pics, it appears to be glass or broken part of quartz, some more info would help in its identification.

pl. (i) post a close up pic. so that its surface  and fractures can bee seen clearly.
(ii) wash the sample with some detergent using a medium hard brush and see the red coloration goes or not, if not then wash it with dilute sulphuric acid under supervision of some chemistry teacher in his laboratory and rinse it in running water so that it does not have any traces of acid left on it, note if the red coloration has gone.
(iii) scratch it with a piece of broken glass  and see if it is stretchable.

pl. provide the info.  

Would be happy to answer : General Geology, Engineering Geology, Economic Geology, Geomorphology, Geoenvironment, Tectonics, Natural Resources inclusive of Rocks & Minerals, Exploration, Science Policy etc.

Geological-Geotechnical Solutions and professional advice. I have over 34 years of professional experience of working as a geologist in diverse mountainous terrain. I have professional skills for planning. programming, executing and monitoring of : (1) Engineering Geological investigations in Hydropower and Developmental projects, (2) Landslide and Disaster Management etc. (3) Natural Resource Management and Programming (4) Geological Mapping (5) Geoenvironmental Management (6) Mineral Exploration (7) Water Resources Management, (8) Integrated Watershed Management, (9) Training on - Natural Resource Management, Geoenvironmental Management, Waste Management, Geohazards, Geotechnical Investigations, Data acquisition & interpretations, (10) R&D Initiatives and Societal issues etc.

ex-Geological Survey of India. Retired Director now Geo-Consultant and Advisor -HIGEOS India

Departmental Publications mostly

M.Tech.(Applied Geology), University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee).

Worked in the Geological Survey of India for aabout 32 years. Presently - GeoConsultant & Advisor - HIGEOS India