Geology/Rock identification

Question
Rock
Rock  

Rock
Rock  
I found this rock in back yard while planting a tree. I have not been able to identify and wondered if you can help me. It has red streaks through it and feels smooth. Edges are not sharp and also some places opaque. Light does show when flash light applied. Not real heavy but feels solid. Smaller piece broke off

Answer
From the pics, it appears to be glass or broken part of quartz, some more info would help in its identification.

pl. (i) post a close up pic. so that its surface  and fractures can bee seen clearly.
(ii) wash the sample with some detergent using a medium hard brush and see the red coloration goes or not, if not then wash it with dilute sulphuric acid under supervision of some chemistry teacher in his laboratory and rinse it in running water so that it does not have any traces of acid left on it, note if the red coloration has gone.
(iii) scratch it with a piece of broken glass  and see if it is stretchable.

pl. provide the info.  

Geology

N.K.Agarwal