I have a large rock, 10-15 or so lbs. from Southern California that is white with a pinkish center. I think it might be Rose Quartz. How can I find pout what it is?

Hi Jan,
Your best beet to find out what you have is to take it to the Geology Department of your local university.  They are glad to help.  You might also contact a local rock club.  I have found that collectors can be very knowledgeable about local geology and mineral specimens.  This site;

lists rock clubs by state.  You might find one close to you.

Hope this helps.

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.

I can answer any general geology question (rocks, minerals, stratigraphy, geomorphology etc.). My expertise is in the geology of the Michigan Basin, PreCambrian, Paleozoic and Recent. I can answer questions concerning mining and petroleum exploration and production and the laws concerning those activities. I can also answer questions concerning stratigraphy of the Michigan Basin. I will also answer questions about mineral and rock collecting in the Basin. I won`t be able to answer many specific questions on hydrology, geophysics or geochemistry. I may be able to answer very general questions in those venues.

I have been working for the State of Michigan for 36 years as a Geologist and a Resource Analyst. I have experience with Subsurface Geology and Petroleum Geology, mining in Michigan, and Sand Dune Mining and Protection issues.

Michigan Basin Geological Society

Decade of North American Geology.
Bedrock Geology of Michigan

BS Wayne State University