Geology/Rocks/gemstones

Question
I have a large rock, 10-15 or so lbs. from Southern California that is white with a pinkish center. I think it might be Rose Quartz. How can I find pout what it is?

Answer
Hi Jan,
Your best beet to find out what you have is to take it to the Geology Department of your local university.  They are glad to help.  You might also contact a local rock club.  I have found that collectors can be very knowledgeable about local geology and mineral specimens.  This site;

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/clublist.shtml

lists rock clubs by state.  You might find one close to you.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Geology

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.