Geology/Regarding convection currents

Question
Is there a source of heat other than a candle that can be used to create the strongest natural convection current (not forced convection) on a small scale?  In context, I want the convection current to be strong enough to propel a small boat at the highest speed possible.  Or is creating a design that includes forced convection the only way to increase the force?

Thank you,
Sarah

Answer
What you need is something that will generate a lot of heat.  Sterno gelled alcohol fuel would probably work since it burns hotter than a candle or match.  If you could design a container that would channel the flame a bit more, but not build up too much pressure it would increase the applied heat.

Are you trying to turn a turbine?  Sterno is pretty light, and probably has a higher fuel energy density for the weight, than anything else I can think of.

Geology

Keith Patton