Geology/oil potential of punjab and balochistan

A.O.A respected sir...i m a student of geology i wanna know the oil potential of punjab planes and balochistan basin..specially about those areas of pakistan where we have potential but companies and not working there...specially about balochistan...

Dear Muhammad,

I have written a paper few years ago about Punjab platform about its infra-Cambrian source potential

there is another more recent paper

After several exploratory wells, oil potential of Punjab Platform so far is very discouraging as there have been only three discoveries (Punjpir, Nandipur and Bahu and all three from Cretaceous reservoirs)so far in the last 50 years of drilling. Despite back to back failures, companies are still pursuing areas in this region.

Therefore,  the Balochistan basin is an active margin basin, a combination of a fore-arc and back-arch basin, to the south parallel to the coastline,  sediments from the Arabia plate which is subducting under the Balochistan basin forming the accretionary prism which are composed of several kilometers of fine-grained sediments  from Miocene to recent time. These sediments are very young in age and thermally very cold which is considered not very effectively enough to generate hydrocarbon.

Due to subduction mud volcanoes have formed along the coastlines which emit biogenic gases which became the attraction point when first well Chandragup-1 was drilled in 1916 near the same name mud volcano but was not successful. There are issues of thermal maturity, a presence of effective source rock and occurrence of the presence of good quality reservoir and for these reasons whatever a small number of wells drilled in this area did not bring any positive and encouraging message to the exploration companies. Therefore, exploration is very limited and in future it is less likely that many wells will be drilled. I short we can say that hydrocarbon prospectivity is very questionable in this area and drilling is a high-risk venture.  

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist