Geology/Unidentified metal fragment

Mystery  tube
Mystery tube  

Metal tube 2
Metal tube 2  
Since my childhood (more than 60 years ago) I have kept in a box of treasures a piece of what appears to be metal.  I have never been able to guess what this particular treasure is.  I should be most grateful if you could enlighten me.
As can probably be judged by the accompanying coin, it has a tubular length of approximately 45 mm and a diameter of approximately 13 mm.  The end displays what looks like an explosion or ‘starburst’ with a whitish centre but gold flecks at the edges.

Thank you in advance for any explanation offered.

Clive Smith

Is there a foundry of metal works in vicinity of from where you have collected the specimen?
what is the density of the specimen, you can get the density measured in some lab in a college.
I think, get chemical analysis done of a few mg weight of filed powder of this specimen.
pl. also attach a close up view of the edges along with density. Possibly this may help in identification

Would be happy to answer : General Geology, Engineering Geology, Economic Geology, Geomorphology, Geoenvironment, Tectonics, Natural Resources inclusive of Rocks & Minerals, Exploration, Science Policy etc.

Geological-Geotechnical Solutions and professional advice. I have over 34 years of professional experience of working as a geologist in diverse mountainous terrain. I have professional skills for planning. programming, executing and monitoring of : (1) Engineering Geological investigations in Hydropower and Developmental projects, (2) Landslide and Disaster Management etc. (3) Natural Resource Management and Programming (4) Geological Mapping (5) Geoenvironmental Management (6) Mineral Exploration (7) Water Resources Management, (8) Integrated Watershed Management, (9) Training on - Natural Resource Management, Geoenvironmental Management, Waste Management, Geohazards, Geotechnical Investigations, Data acquisition & interpretations, (10) R&D Initiatives and Societal issues etc.

ex-Geological Survey of India. Retired Director now Geo-Consultant and Advisor -HIGEOS India

Departmental Publications mostly

M.Tech.(Applied Geology), University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee).

Worked in the Geological Survey of India for aabout 32 years. Presently - GeoConsultant & Advisor - HIGEOS India