Geology/Rock

Question
photo 1
photo 1  
Dear Mr. Reszka,
I play at this golf course in Irvine, CA
Near one of the tees is this large rock, its approximately 15 feet by 15 feet by 8 feet high
The cart path comes close to one side of the rock and one day one of my golfing buddies remarked that the rock was cut to make room for this cart path. I replied that the rock was untouched by man.
Since neither one of us has a clue could you take a look at the attached photo and tell us who is correct?

thank you

Answer
Hi Gary,
Interesting...it looks to me like normal erosional characteristics.  I'd say it's completely natural.  Pretty big to move, so I'd say it was dropped there during the last glacial advance.  Big rocks like that are called "glacial erratics".

Hope this helps.
Bob

Geology

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.