Geology/Petrified wood

Question
1 piece
1 piece  

the mother lode
the mother lode  
Hello! Sorry if duplicate message, my phone acting up.
Any chance MSU is testing petrified wood to identify glacier deposits age?
I found it in Northern MI.

Thanks for your time,

Jaimie

Answer
Hi Jaimie,
Very interesting rocks you have.  I can't make out too much in the "mother lode" image but the "1 piece" image looks like petrified wood.  However, I've also seen interior portions of "pillow lavas" that look much like that as well.  They are found in the U.P. so the site where you found these may not be far enough north for that.  They are cool never the less.

I don't know if MSU has any current glacial studies that use petrified wood but you could certainly contact them.  If they are, and if these are petrified wood, I am certain they would be excited to talk to you.  Here's the website for the Department of Geological Sciences;

https://glg.natsci.msu.edu/

And here's a phone number for the Department receptionist....(517) 353-3263.  Just in case; here's the email of the receptionist, Brittany Walter, walterb8@msu.edu.  She will be able to put you in touch with the staff that can help you.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Geology

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.