Geology/is it possible

I picked this rock up in western North Dakota thinking it was some yellow stone agate as you can see in the picture there appears to be a fishor something inside the rock some people say possiblyit could be amber it has caused quite a stir on agate collectors worldwideI don't know if it is even possibleto find out for sure what this isor how you could even test it it was suggested that I come here and ask some expertsthank you for any help you could give

agate /ˈɡət/ is a cryptocrystalline variety of silica, chiefly chalcedony, characterised by its fineness of grain and brightness of color. Although agates may be found in various kinds of rock, they are classically associated with volcanic rocks and can be common in certain metamorphic rocks
It is difficult to recognize--- test with pen knife rub on it if it not scarch   
Quart and varieties hardness is 7(Mohs Scale)not scarchable
I think it is variety of quartz mineral
Any local geologist will identify with hand specimen
Prof DVREDDY-India

Dr D.Venkat Reddy

Engineering Geology,Mining geology,commercial petrology,Decorative and dimensional stones,Hydrogeology

20years texhing and reserch expireience in geology,enginnering geology for graduate and undergraduate students-reserch guidance,10years field exoireience conducting field camps for geology students=Presently Assistant professor in geolog

NITK-National Institute of Technology,Surathkal,Mangalore-DK,India Geology section Dept of Civil Engineering

published 70 research papers.( 4 books)- Editor in Chief-International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering -1.Engineering Geology for civil Engineers-oxford &IBH pub-1996] 2.Decorative and dimensional stones of India-CBS Pub-1997 3.Engineering Geology-Vikaspublishers2010 4.Applied Geology-Vikaspub-2010

MSC(GEOLOGY),Osmania university,India, MSC(Tech )Hydrogeology,OU,India PhD(GEOLOGY)OU,India

Distinguishing Indian Award Editor in chief-International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering (

PRESENTLY WORKING =Professor of Geology-Dept of Civil Engineering NITK-INDIA