Geology/type of rock

Question
rocks
rocks  
hi there, i was wondering if you can look at these 2 pictures ive attached to
this message  and maybe be able to tell me a lil something about them. they are
extremely heavy especially the one that looks burned and they are both magnetic,
any info you can give me would be highly appreciated. and thanks for your time

Answer
I only got one picture and the rock/mineral which looks very much like Magnetite.  Magnetite is a mineral, one of the three common naturally occurring iron oxides (chemical formula Fe3O4) and a member of the spinel group. Magnetite is the most magnetic of all the naturally occurring minerals on Earth. Naturally magnetized pieces of magnetite, called lodestone, will attract small pieces of iron, and this was how ancient people first noticed the property of magnetism.  Below are the characteristics of magnetite.

Color   Black, gray with brownish tint in reflected sun
Crystal habit   Octahedral, fine granular to massive
Crystal system   Isometric Hexoctahedral
Twinning   On {Ill} as both twin and composition plane, the spinel law, as contact twins
Cleavage   Indistinct, parting on {Ill}, very good
Fracture   Uneven
Tenacity   Brittle
Mohs scale of hardness   5.56.5
Luster   Metallic
Streak   (when scrapped on a porcelain plate) Black
Diaphaneity   Opaque
Specific gravity   5.175.18
Solubility   Dissolves slowly in hydrochloric acid

You might try some of the above to make sure that the rock(s) are magnetite.  For reference a sandstone of limestone has a specific gravity of about 2.65 as opposed to Magnetite at 5.17.  Hardness and be checked by a knife blade at about 5 - 5.5 (when you scratch the rock with a knife it should not leave a mark.  High grade magnetite if the deposit is large enough and near enough to a railroad or navigable river has value.

Small grains of magnetite occur in almost all igneous and metamorphic rocks.  

Geology

Joe Norris