Geology/Brunton Compass

brunton Compass
brunton Compass  
dear sir,
         i feel confusion to get reading in Brenton compass.
sir what is dip and strike reading of given below pic

I think that you need to go back and study dip and strike and what they are first.  Dip is simply the angle of the surface relative to horizontal.  Strike is a measurement of the orientation of the surface, perpendicular to dip.  in the photo you have, Dip is being being measured between the white chalk lines.  Strike is the measurement of the white chalk line.

While dip will be a certain number of degrees relative to the horizontal, strike will be a certain number of degrees relative to the earth's magnetic field (i.e. 30 degrees north, or 285 degrees, or another other number).

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Fraser Hamilton

I have over 15 years of professional experience in the environmental geology field. I am well versed in general geology types of questions and answers. In addition I have a keen understanding of physical stratigraphy (especially in the Valley and Ridge of Central PA) and cycles.

Eight years of education, fifteen years of professional experience. Have worked or studied in ME, PA, TX, KY, IN, TN, OH, WA and Scotland.

Geological Society of America
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Properties Magazine
Cleveland Bar Association
Cleveland Engineering Society

BA Geology/Math, University of Maine at Farmington
MA Geology - Physical Stratigraphy, Temple University
Post Grad Studies Geology - Texas A&M University

Distinguished graduate teaching award, Temple University