Geology/Brunton Compass

Question
brunton Compass
brunton Compass  
dear sir,
         i feel confusion to get reading in Brenton compass.
sir what is dip and strike reading of given below pic
regard;
waqar

Answer
Waqar

I think that you need to go back and study dip and strike and what they are first.  Dip is simply the angle of the surface relative to horizontal.  Strike is a measurement of the orientation of the surface, perpendicular to dip.  in the photo you have, Dip is being being measured between the white chalk lines.  Strike is the measurement of the white chalk line.

While dip will be a certain number of degrees relative to the horizontal, strike will be a certain number of degrees relative to the earth's magnetic field (i.e. 30 degrees north, or 285 degrees, or another other number).

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Fraser

Geology

Fraser Hamilton