Geology/Petrochemical vs Petroleum engineering

Thanking you for your kind response to my previous question.

I have been gathering info about petroleum engineering for days.I'm gonna do Petroleum Engineering especially to earn in Arab countries.But i came to know that it is very difficult to get a job in Arab countries,as they demand 5-10 year experience and i don't know where to gain this experience from.

Secondly,i'm so confused about Petrochemical engineering & Petroleum engineering.Its completely on you,you tell me which one is better and provides more jobs.I will prefer your prescription.
Also,what is the criterion to become a petrochemical engineer? as it isn't offered in any of the universities in Pakistan.Should one need to do BS chemical engineering for Petrochemical engineering??What about Chemical engnrng with specialization in Petroleum engineering??

Dear Abdur Rahman

Thanks for sending me your question. You have put forward several question ad I will try to succinctly answer them.

First of all I like to suggest that you should keep your approach simple about your career. Basically, you are trying to understand how to become a petrochemical engineer to work Saudi, UAE or Qatar etc. Try to choose the best university for your further education and try to get best results. Once you would complete your degree with good grades you would likely to get better job opportunities in good companies which give you enough experience to get a job of your country of choice including Arab countries. Once you keep your education and post-education job opportunities preferences in the right order you would be comfortable and live with a peace of mind as that is probably the right approach.

The petrochemical engineer is a chemical engineer who works on plants where the hydrocarbon is used as a source to produce various oil and gas related products for market. Oil refineries, lubricants, hydrocracking plants, liquefied petroleum gas plants (LPG), glycol plants, etc. If you are interested in work in petroleum processing plants you need to study chemical engineering.

There are numerous universities offering Chemical Engineering for a four-year graduate degree program (BSC or BE) in Pakistan which includes; Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences Islamabad, GIK University Topi,  UET Lahore, Mehran University of Engineering Jamshoro, NED University Karachi and Dawood Engineering University Karachi.

Also read the following links;

The Petroleum engineering is more about the petroleum exploration and production industry where role of engineer is to work but not limited to,  drilling of wells, oil and gas wells designing and planning, reservoir management and reservoir engineering, production of oil and gas and designing and construction of  production facilities.

As far as the job opportunities are concerned, there are more jobs for chemical engineers than Petroleum engineers but in terms of salaries and other benefits with job is concerned most of the petroleum engineers earn more than any chemical engineer with same qualification and experience.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist