Geology/Petroleum engineering

Sir! I have done FSc Pre-engineering quite handsomely,now passing through the most crucial time of my life as i have to choose my career to carry my whole family.
Sir, I am planning to get admission in Petroleum and gas engineering.I am scared that i might ruin my life by choosing this odd field because in Pakistan all the universities offering this program are not well known.

Please tell me the scope of Petroleum engineering in Pakistan and middle east(Arab countries)?? Can you please tell me the names of leading institutions for this program in Pakistan which have affiliations with related companies?

My dear Abdul Rahman,

Thanks for writing me this question.
I am sure about the conclusion you reached that Petroleum engineering might have ruined your life on what grounds and evidence. Take, 5 professionals near you, Doctor, Chemist, Pharmacist, Lawyer, and a Journalist and you may compare their salaries, lifestyle and achievements with petroleum engineer with similar experience or more years in the profession.

Petroleum engineering is a good profession and most of the time stay in demand for both, fresh and experienced, and you won't regret after joining the field. How successful you would have been depending on your abilities to accept challenges and difficult tasks in life. Getting the first job has always been difficult everywhere in the world and probably you would have to wait too for some time before landing a good professional and satisfying job. Oil industry usually works in varying cycles of high and low business activities depending on the oil prices and global political and market situation. Presently, oil market is suffering a low oil price which is reflective on reduced exploration and drilling activities but this patch won't last for longer period and after few months or probably another year or two activities would go back to normal which will provide more job opportunities.

Petroleum engineers (PE) are being routinely employed by the oil industry in Pakistan, Middle East and other parts of the world  by oil exploration and oilfield services companies. As far as Pakistan is concerned  I am not aware the availability of manpower  authentic figure to know how many graduates have landed a job and where they get employed due to lack of systematic data.

PE are the better-salaried profession with several opportunities to work overseas.

Pakistan Petroleum Limited has been very active supporting petroleum engineering department of NED University in Karachi.

Read the following article;

Please do not hesitate to send another question if need more help. Please RATE this answer.

Kindest regards

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist