Geology/Explosion in RI

Good afternoon,

I'm a reporter with the Boston Globe. Can you please give me a call for a story that I am writing about an mysterious explosion in RI?

My number is  

I have been a geologist for well over 40 years and I can tell you that I will not be able to help you with this situation.  What I can do is identify a mineral or rock but this situation would take extensive research and then the results would still be questionable.  I have a feeling that it has something to do with natural gas.

Porosity and natural gas are quite unique and somewhat unpredictably bed fellows, given the right scenario.  You can take a quart jar and fill it with 1/2 rocks and you would call it full but it isn't because you can then add a bunch of BB's and then you might call it full but you could still add several ounces of sand and then you would think it was full but then you could add another 6 or so ounces of water and you might then call it full but you still can still add some natural gas if the jar were upside down.  The point is that natural gas can very easily penetrate a sand beach and be contained there for a significant period of time until the right situation occurs.  

If you want to talk to me my phone number is (304) 586-0973

Joe Norris

I am an economic geologist. An economic geologist does mineral evaluations and appraisals of mineral or mining properties. I can tell you if your deposit has value - remember that a mineral deposit, no matter how good, only has value when mined. Any value assigned to a mineral deposit, in the ground, is only the speculative value that deposit.

I have been a economic geologist for most of my 35 year career. Although I have done work in perhaps 45 states and numerious countries much of my work has been in Appalachian coal, intermountain west gold and silver, and Arizona uranium.

Past President of the Virginia Section of the American Institute of Professional Geologists and a certified geologist in twelve states.

BS Degree from Eastern Kentucky University. Work on MS Degree @ Eastern Kentucky University, Colorad School of Mines & Marshall University Numerious short courses on the value of mineral deposits and how to value same. Also several short courses dealing with the different types of geologic processes; sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic along with the mineral associated with each.