Geology/fault vs Dip

Q: Sir How Dip readings and directions will help to identify the Indication & location of the fault in Drilling Exploratory wells.

Baluchistan House

Dip meter logs will let you identify the dipping of the strata within a well.  Any reversal or drastic change in the dip can be due to two things, a fault, or an erosional unconformity.

Other well log types can help you identify repeated sections or missing sections that will help you narrow down whether its a fault or unconformity and what type of fault it is, normal or reverse.

Reduced thickness of a section is indicative of a normal fault, and thickening and repeated sections, are indicative of a reverse or thrust fault where you will have a repeated identical section of log present.  

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas