Geology/fault vs Dip

Question
Q: Sir How Dip readings and directions will help to identify the Indication & location of the fault in Drilling Exploratory wells.

regard:
waqar
Baluchistan House
Islamabad

Answer
Dip meter logs will let you identify the dipping of the strata within a well.  Any reversal or drastic change in the dip can be due to two things, a fault, or an erosional unconformity.

Other well log types can help you identify repeated sections or missing sections that will help you narrow down whether its a fault or unconformity and what type of fault it is, normal or reverse.

Reduced thickness of a section is indicative of a normal fault, and thickening and repeated sections, are indicative of a reverse or thrust fault where you will have a repeated identical section of log present.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5363299  

Geology

Keith Patton