Geology/Gamma response in Marl vs Shale

Asalaam o Aalikum,
Dear Sir,
Kindly tell me about the response of Gamma Ray in Marl and Shale.
Which lithology has generally high Gamma ray values?
Thanks a lot for your time.

Dear Atif Ismail,

Gamma Ray (GR) log reads total radioactivity of the formation due to the presence of Uranium, Thorium and Potassium. Marl is the calcareous claystone which means that mainly made up of the detritus of limestone therefore it should read low GR whereas shale should read high GR.

Shales and claystone contain naturally occurring radioactive minerals therefore GR is high i these lithologies whereas sandstones, dolomites and limestones should read low GR.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist