Geology/NTG

Question
Hi, I will like to know if it is ok to calculate NTG dividing the net thickness of a sand with the groos thickness of the sand?

NTG= NET SAND/NET GROSS

OR it would be better to divide the net sand by 100

NTG= NET SAND/100

THANKS,

ERIKA

Answer
Dear Erika,

Net to Gross can be anything; you can use one parameter or combine several options to get desired results.

Assuming 100m gross sand but you want to apply a cut-off; porosity 12% and water saturation 25% and you get 18m such zone; so your net to gross will be 0.18 or 18% or net sand 18m.

Assume you have 100m thick unit mixed facies with shale and sand and after apply Gamma Ray cut off, 30 GR API to determine the cleanest sand vs shaly sand, siltstone,  and shale, you get 25m sand which will be 25% your net sand or 0.25 NTG.

Regards

Tariq  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany