Geology/Rock Identification

July 23 2015
July 23 2015  
I found this rock recently. Several actually - I've always picked up rocks that caught my eye but I've never seen one like these. Please help if you can - I'm very curious.

I am curious, where in Ohio did you pick up these rocks?

They are limestone.

I am not sure what the black staining is on them, but I have a guess. Likewise, where you picked them up will help me explain why they look different. I would like to hear where you picked them up first though......

Fraser Hamilton

I have over 15 years of professional experience in the environmental geology field. I am well versed in general geology types of questions and answers. In addition I have a keen understanding of physical stratigraphy (especially in the Valley and Ridge of Central PA) and cycles.

Eight years of education, fifteen years of professional experience. Have worked or studied in ME, PA, TX, KY, IN, TN, OH, WA and Scotland.

Geological Society of America
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Properties Magazine
Cleveland Bar Association
Cleveland Engineering Society

BA Geology/Math, University of Maine at Farmington
MA Geology - Physical Stratigraphy, Temple University
Post Grad Studies Geology - Texas A&M University

Distinguished graduate teaching award, Temple University