Geology/dad found this stone

Question
1st pic
1st pic  

closer pic
closer pic  
Can you help me identify this stone . It looks diffrent than most because it has perfect angles like it hasnt weathered much almost like a cut gemstone.

Answer
The rock is Jasper, variety bloodstone.  Jasper is a variety of quartz and comes in a variety of colors depending on the impurities contained. The variety of your rock, bloodstone, has minor iron in it which causes it to red or brownish red.     

Jasper, an aggregate of microquartz and/or chalcedony and other mineral phases,is an opaque,impure vauriety of silica, usually red, yellow, brown or green in color; and rarely blue. The common red color is due to iron inclusions. The mineral aggregate breaks with a smooth surface and is used for ornamentation or as a gemstone. It can be highly polished and is used for vases, seals, and snuff boxes. The specific gravity of jasper is typically 2.5 to 2.9. Along with heliotrope (bloodstone), jasper (green with red spots) is one of the traditional birthstones for March. Jaspilite is a banded iron formation rock that often has distinctive bands of jasper.  

Pure quartz, traditionally called rock crystal or clear quartz, is colorless and transparent or translucent, and has often been used for hardstone carvings. Common colored varieties include citrine, rose quartz, amethyst, smoky quartz, milky quartz, jasper, and others.

The most important distinction between types of quartz is that of macrocrystalline (individual crystals visible to the unaided eye) and the microcrystalline or cryptocrystalline varieties (aggregates of crystals visible only under high magnification). The cryptocrystalline varieties are either translucent or mostly opaque, while the transparent varieties tend to be macrocrystalline. Chalcedony is a cryptocrystalline form of silica consisting of fine intergrowths of both quartz, and its monoclinic polymorph moganite. Other opaque gemstone varieties of quartz, or mixed rocks including quartz, often including contrasting bands or patterns of color, are agate, carnelian or sard, onyx, carnelian, heliotrope, and jasper.

I couldn't get the photo to paste but below is the link to a crystal picture of citrine which is very similar to bloodstone. When minute amounts of contaminants are contained in quartz the resulting rock has a very lessened propensity to form crystals.

http://us.cdn1.123rf.com/168nwm/hapelena/hapelena1305/hapelena130500020/19694943

Geology

Joe Norris