Geology/petroleum system of pakistan

Question
Hi Sir. Can you tell me about reserviors , source and cap rocks with formation's name of Balochistan Basin. Also recommend a book of "Petroleum system of Pakistan" for BS Geology (5th semester).
Thanks.

Answer
Dear Ahmad,

I am sure you are well aware that Baluchistan Basin is comprised of sediments from Cretaceous to Recent and located west of Chaman-Ornach fault zone and Makran accretionary wedge to the south in the Arabian Sea. Tectonically, this basin is still an active basin as the Arbian Plate is under thrusting the Indo-Pakistan Plate.

There are few  wells drilled both on land and offshore areas of the basin without success. Most of the petroleum system information is based on the surface geological charecterization ; for example, potential source rocks are  expected to be in Paleocee age Rakhshani formation and Paleocene to Early-Middle Eocene Kharan Limestone. Panjgur Formation turbidite fan system of Miocene age were targeted as a potential reservoir in few offshore wells drilled in Makran area whereas Parkini formation were considered as poetnetail source rock and seal rock in Makran offshore and onshore areas.

The potentail reservoirs objectives are Rakshani formation  and Kharan limestone or equivalent age geological horizons within the basin.

Please IB Kadri book on Petrleum Geology of Pakistan and also consult PAPG-SPE Annual Technical Conference proceedings (from 1998 to 2014) as further reading material.

Regards

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany