please how can calcareous nannoplanktons be used in petroleum exploration?

Dear Josh,

Nannoplanktons can be used in two ways in petroleum exploration; firstly, some deep sea rocks such as chalks are formed by the accumulation of nannoplanktons which in turn may become excellent reservoirs such as Ekofisk formation in the North Sea and Austin Chalk in Texas. These two key reservoirs are true limestone composed of chalk which are primarily composed of nannoplanktons.

Secondly, nannoplanktons are one of the useful rock grains among many others which can be used in biostratigraphical interpretation as many oilfields operators like to analyse rocks for age determination. Age determination  often becomes very critical in the reservoir characterization in field development.

Hope, this answer helps you.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist