Geology/picture of rock

Rock 1
Rock 1  

rock 2
rock 2  
Mr. Norris, you asked me to send you a picture of the rock I found in Southeast Idaho.

The pictures are not real good detail so I can't tell you exactly what the greenish mineral is; however, I can see enough of the rock to say that the rocks appear to be metamorphic.  There are several green or greenish metamorphic minerals, see the link below:

Turquoise "generally" occurs as veins or nuggets in igneous rocks or sometimes as secondary oxidation on rocks with high copper contents.  Most turquoise deposits are in a copper type deposit called a porphyry which has very specific characteristics. Since I can not see the rocks that well, I am not saying that the mineral that you are seeing is not turquoise but that there is a high probability that it is not. You may want to pull up the attached link and see if any of these minerals look like your rock.

Joe Norris

I am an economic geologist. An economic geologist does mineral evaluations and appraisals of mineral or mining properties. I can tell you if your deposit has value - remember that a mineral deposit, no matter how good, only has value when mined. Any value assigned to a mineral deposit, in the ground, is only the speculative value that deposit.

I have been a economic geologist for most of my 35 year career. Although I have done work in perhaps 45 states and numerious countries much of my work has been in Appalachian coal, intermountain west gold and silver, and Arizona uranium.

Past President of the Virginia Section of the American Institute of Professional Geologists and a certified geologist in twelve states.

BS Degree from Eastern Kentucky University. Work on MS Degree @ Eastern Kentucky University, Colorad School of Mines & Marshall University Numerious short courses on the value of mineral deposits and how to value same. Also several short courses dealing with the different types of geologic processes; sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic along with the mineral associated with each.