Geology/becoming a petrophysicist

Kindly advise me on how I can move from theoretical to practical petrophysical expertise. I am a geologist by background and now our petrophysicist is due to retire soon, I am expected to take up his space.
Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks for asking the question. The best approach will be to try to interpret the well logs with simple Archie approach and start moving from simple to complex reservoirs. I think a technical course for practical well log interpretation would be advantageous for you at this point in time. Get involved in the log interpretation and core analysis currently being carried out in your company. You can also learn from the experienced petrophysicist who is about to retire, he might transfer his years of knowledge to you.

The geological background will help you in understanding the reservoir properties and lithology. Both the disciplines are interlinked yet very different in nature. Try to interpret logs, that is how you can transform your geological knowledge into becoming a good petrophysicist.

Try computing VCL, PHI, RW, SW and match with the core to built a consistent model to know the reservoirs your company is currently focusing on.

I hope it will help you, i will look forward for your technical question in this regards in future.

This site might be very helpful for you,

Syed Anjum Shah

I would love to answer questions related to petrophysics which includes conventional as well as unconventional reservoirs. I will avoid answering NMR, CMR and acoustic processing techniques as these are not my area of experties.

Petrophysics and source rock maturity modelling are the fields of great interest. Petrophysics includes, experience in single and multi-well interpretation including thin-beds, carbonates, complex mineral reservoirs, LRLC pay reservoirs, Shale Gas plays. Logging program creation. Operations support. Core analysis. Mud log analysis. Geomechanical data integration for well stability, placement, and completion type.

Saif Energy Limited

Msc Geology 2006

I am in a client company