Geology/career -10

Dear Sir,
         sir i did BS (geology) in 2014.Now i want to take admission in MS . what would u suggest the Field For MS .          MS(Geo-Technical Eng ) or MS(Geology) ?

Dear Fiaz,

Thanks for your answer.

Both subjects are useful with the different outlook in industry and application.
Geotechnical geology is more related to civil engineering whereas Geology is all about minerals, general geology and petroleum with a lot more other aspects.

Geology allows you to work in a more diverse environment and with so many applications.
Geotechnical engineering has its own fields of expertise such as dams, ports and airports, highways and road, bridges, pavements, tunnels, and any residential and commercial large building requires sub-soil characterization and foundation base strength evaluation.

I can foresee that several large engineering projects are about to be commenced in Pakistan, including China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) which needs a lot of geotechnical and civil engineers in years to come. If the project continues even after your graduation will be good for you.

It's not difficult to assess that due to global drop of oil price has pushed oil companies to shelved several exploration and production projects due to which many geoscience professionals have been laid off by their employers which have risen the worst recession in the industry. So, to landing a job in these circumstances is getting  tougher. Nevertheless, the situation is surely and more likely to improve after some time.

Please consider the time when you complete your education and likely scenario at that time.

Geotechnical engineering is my recommendation.  

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist