Geology/next steps after drilling a well

Question
Dear Sir,
I am a young geologist. We have just drilled an exploration well (my first) and are now awaiting results from Geochemical analysis, Biostratigraphy and Sedimentology: all external studies. My question is what can I do on a day to day basis while I await those results? No one here seems to know. I have access to the wireline logs but that is all. As the geologist on the team, what should I get to grips with? Be on top of? Prepare or update? Any pointers would be well appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Thomas

Answer
Dear Young Geologist,

Thanks for sending me your question.

As you said you have wireline logs and you want to do something to be on top. That's pretty cool idea and here is the recipe.

If you have a workstation with installed G&G applications package such as Petrel or Geographix  you can load wells raw data (which usually comes in LAS format)and prepare well sections and try to correlate with nearby wells.
If you have petrophysical interpretation software in your workstation you can start working on reservoir section for its interpretation. If you don't have a dedicated petrophysics software you can still do it in the Petrel using various equations and simple formulas. Porosity, water saturation, lithofacies, velocity calculations, rock physics and many more results can be achieved.

Do not simply wait for sedimentology work to be delivered, I bet you ca do a lot by your own; on wireline logs you can do yourself sequence analysis. This means that, based on the sequence analysis established concepts you can pick  most prominent prograding surface, retrograding surface, maximum flooding surfaces and define sequence and parasequences boundaries.

Also, you can do seismic stratigraphy on the seismic dataset first independent of well logs and then integrate well logs sequence stratigraphy with seismic stratigraphy. Once the externally contracted studies return and available to you, you can integrate or correct your interpretation with their results. I am afraid you can not do biostrat on the logs that you can mark the main unconformities if there are any exist.

If you are working without the aid of workstation then you can do all things by hand with a calculator or basic drawing color pensils.

Additionally, you can define source potential on the basis logs data using Passey (delta R) approach and using Gamma Ray spectroscopy data.

Hope this answer helps you.

Please do not forget to Rate this answer.

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany