Hi sir I read your most of the previous answers regarding petroleum geology or else. Actually I am pretty much confused which field should I choose if I compare Geo-technical engineering and petroleum geology. Though I am interested in both of them. But later on you know we have to choose one field so I need your valuable recommendation considering above problem that I mentioned....

My second question is to clarify me regarding petrophysicist, petroleum geologist and can a earth scientist student do a petroleum engineering in future...

I need to know worldwide as well as from Pakistan prospect...

I would consider your valuable recommendations..

Thank you for for question.

In the past I have responded to such questions so I hope you are able to go and find the answers you are looking for yourself, however I will give you a quick introduction on these fields.

Geo-technical engineering is a subject that essentially deals with civil engineering along side geological complexities. Applications include maintaining unstable slopes on the highway,mountainous or hilly terrains; or whether big structureslike large dams, air ports, sea ports, and tunnels could be successful if they are situated on an active fault plane. A geo-technical engineer, due to his unique skills and knowledge in geology and civil engineering may help design such structures that prevent the major failures. In Pakistan the jobs in the Geo-technical engineering field are due to increase in the future because of on-going China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

Petroleum geologist (PG) is a person who has a combined knowledge of properties of the petroleum and sub surface geology. A PG works for petroleum exploration companies in order to find oil and gas from various acreages and after the successful oil discovery, also works to bring and maintain the production on stream. The jobs in petroleum geology is very much related to the global business scenario of petroleum and the oil price.

Obviously you can only chose between them, taking into account your personal interests and carees objectives.

Presently, due to global decrease in oil prices, the petroleum business has been in a slump which has had adverse effects in the job market.

In regards to your second question. You can probably do Petroleum engineering given that you find a university that will accept that combination.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist