Geology/Flow Cheke at Rig site

Question
Dear Sir,
        when and why we check the Flow at rig?
regard:
waqar

Answer
Dear Waqar,

Thanks for sending me your question.

Flow check at drilling well is carried out usually after each drilling break, i.e., after encountering highly porous and permeable rocks where water, oil or gas are expected to present, to confirm that if the formation fluids are  entering or not entering into the the well bore. Flow check is usually also performs before the bit trip or whenever there is significant change of lithology that is susceptible to have higher formation pressure.

Any flow,  in static rig pumps condition, suggests that drilling fluid weight has been lowered after entering new fluids and in order to maintain the fluid weight (mud pressure) which should be slightly above the reservoir pressure for safe drilling mud engineer starts to increase the mud weight.

Regards  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany