Geology/Flow Cheke at Rig site

Dear Sir,
        when and why we check the Flow at rig?

Dear Waqar,

Thanks for sending me your question.

Flow check at drilling well is carried out usually after each drilling break, i.e., after encountering highly porous and permeable rocks where water, oil or gas are expected to present, to confirm that if the formation fluids are  entering or not entering into the the well bore. Flow check is usually also performs before the bit trip or whenever there is significant change of lithology that is susceptible to have higher formation pressure.

Any flow,  in static rig pumps condition, suggests that drilling fluid weight has been lowered after entering new fluids and in order to maintain the fluid weight (mud pressure) which should be slightly above the reservoir pressure for safe drilling mud engineer starts to increase the mud weight.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist