Geology/Hi

Question
1
1  

2
2  
I found this at top of old castle on the mountain inside a deep wide hole. it is silver shiny and is looks like a lot of little grains stuck together. Attract to magnets not same at all sides. Please tell me what it is.

Answer
Hi Ela, Good morning! and Fraternal Greetings!

It is difficult to know the exact mineral with naked eye unless it is tested for certain physical properties like colour, streak, lustre, Hardness and specific gravity etc.

However in my opinion the specimen looks like either Tektite or Magnetite.

Tektites are formed due to meteoritic impact.These are gravel-size bodies composed of black, green, brown or Gray natural glass formed from terrestrial debris ejected during extraterrestrial, meteorite impacts. They generally range in size from millimeters to centimeters.

Magnetite is Iron ore mineral and is black or brownish-black with a metallic luster, has a  hardness of 56 and leaves a black streak.

with regards

Geology

Dr D S Subrahmanyam