Geology/Unknown object

Question
Unknown object
Unknown object  
Mr. Reszka,

As a volunteer I help maintain our grade school baseball field in St. Louis, MO.  The field was created many years ago when a new road was built; the foundation of the field is basically everything that they had to dig up to make the road.  Every once in awhile something makes its way to the surface that catches my eye...

The attached item is 'hard as a rock' and I haven't seen anything quite like it.  At first look I thought it may be petrified chewing gum from some kid that spit it out on the field 25 years ago.  My next thought was that it may be a product of when the road was built.  Please let me know any insight you may have to this item.

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Jim,
Looks like you have a rather nice piece of "chalcedony".  

Chalcedony is a cryptocrystalline silica mineral made mostly of quartz (SiO2).  It's usually translucent and looks waxy.  Like quartz, it comes in almost any color, but it's mostly found in white to gray to grayish-blue colors.  Browns, like your specimen, are not rare but they are less common.  

Many varieties of chalcedony are considered semi-precious and have specific names depending on the color; carnelian (red), chrysoprase (green), onyx (black and white bands), all forms of agate.  Brown chalcedony is called "sard" and is often used in jewelry.  

I thought, at first, your specimen might be amber by it's color and translucence.  But your description of it being 'hard as a rock' convinced me it couldn't be, since amber is relatively soft while chalcedony is much harder (can't scratch it with a knife).

Here are some images of chalcedony (mostly carnelian/sard);

http://74.127.19.246/exhibitions/Oregon_By_Nature/featured_artifact.cfm?id=217&f

http://www.ebay.in/itm/LARGE-CHUNKY-NATURAL-RAW-ROUGH-CARNELIAN-AGATE-SULEMANI-H

http://www.crystaldictionary.com/zodiac/cancer/carnelian.html

Hope this helps.
Bob  

Geology

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.