What is this ?
What is this ?  

Good Day.

I am from Egypt, I recently Visited Fayoum area. This area is famous for being a sea before million years ago.

while exploring its beauty, i found a patterned like sandy rocks or so i think, but its texture is weird. unfortunately i didn't take a picture of the pattern on the sandy ground. however, i took one of them (pictures attached) and would like to know exactly what is it and what is its structure if possible? very curious :)

p.s: it breaks very easily.

Thank you for your time.

I believe what you have is some sort of remnant of an evaporite deposit.  As the sun baked a shallow area where water laden with minerals was lurking not far beneath the surface, the sun would draw that water the surface.  As the water evaporated it would leave behind mineral deposits.  I think this is what you have.

Hope this helps.

Fraser Hamilton

I have over 15 years of professional experience in the environmental geology field. I am well versed in general geology types of questions and answers. In addition I have a keen understanding of physical stratigraphy (especially in the Valley and Ridge of Central PA) and cycles.

Eight years of education, fifteen years of professional experience. Have worked or studied in ME, PA, TX, KY, IN, TN, OH, WA and Scotland.

Geological Society of America
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Properties Magazine
Cleveland Bar Association
Cleveland Engineering Society

BA Geology/Math, University of Maine at Farmington
MA Geology - Physical Stratigraphy, Temple University
Post Grad Studies Geology - Texas A&M University

Distinguished graduate teaching award, Temple University