Geology/Geology

Question
To whom it my concern..My name is Aariah and I'm doing a science project on floating rocks. I tested several types of small rocks, and my hypothesis was correct for most of the subjects except scoria. Why did the pumice rock float and why didn't the scoria float and it has holes like the pumice?Thanks for your time.

Answer
I guess the pores in pumice are not interconnected as a result the trapped air inside decreases the density of the rock, while the pores in scoria  are interconnected so that the trapped air escapes on submerging the sample giving it a relatively more density.

Geology

N.K.Agarwal