Geology/Radiometric dating of a rock

Question
I have a rock from the Susquehanna River and I am trying to find somewhere where they can date it. It is probably quite old based on the 250 million year age of the river. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answer
Ron

Is this a rock that you picked up from the river bed or collected from an outcrop?  If it is from an outcrop, nearly an geologist experienced in that area will be able to give you a pretty good assessment as to age.  If the rock was collected above the falls, it is likely sedimentary and we can pinpoint that age pretty good.  If it was collected below (or near) the falls and is metamorphic aging is more difficult because do you want the age of the metamorphism or the age of the precursor.

Radiometric dating is expensive and typically involves some grant funded research.  And, if the rock is not collected in just right the way the radiometric techniques might provide reliable results.

Does this help?

Fraser

Geology

Fraser Hamilton