Geology/ROP and RMP

Dear sir,
         what is Difrence B/W ROP and RPM? How ROP and RMP is calculate at Drilling Site ? and where it sensor installed ?

Dear Waqar,

Thanks for sending me your question.

ROP stands for Rate of penetration which is  a very common but very useful term that indicate how quickly drilling is taking place. It's measured in feet or meters per hour or minutes per feet or meter. 10 ft per hour drilling is slower than 20 ft per hour drilling which is reflective of the nature of the rock being drilled.

RPM stands for Revolution or rounds per minute on the surface which is also a common tern in drilling indicative of how quickly drilling bit is being rotated. Higher number is indicative of faster RPM than lower number.

ROP has no sensor but it is being measured by the rate of lowering of Kelly while the sensor has been placed at the wheel of the drawworks or on the kelly varying from company to company. RPM sensor is attached to the power cable of the Top drive System (TDS)

Hope, this answer help.

Please do not forget to Rate and Nominate me for this answer, if you are satisfied.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist