Geology/ROP and RMP

Question
Dear sir,
         what is Difrence B/W ROP and RPM? How ROP and RMP is calculate at Drilling Site ? and where it sensor installed ?

Answer
Dear Waqar,

Thanks for sending me your question.

ROP stands for Rate of penetration which is  a very common but very useful term that indicate how quickly drilling is taking place. It's measured in feet or meters per hour or minutes per feet or meter. 10 ft per hour drilling is slower than 20 ft per hour drilling which is reflective of the nature of the rock being drilled.

RPM stands for Revolution or rounds per minute on the surface which is also a common tern in drilling indicative of how quickly drilling bit is being rotated. Higher number is indicative of faster RPM than lower number.

ROP has no sensor but it is being measured by the rate of lowering of Kelly while the sensor has been placed at the wheel of the drawworks or on the kelly varying from company to company. RPM sensor is attached to the power cable of the Top drive System (TDS)

Hope, this answer help.

Please do not forget to Rate and Nominate me for this answer, if you are satisfied.

Regards

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany