Geology/Auto Cad

Dear sir:
         What is use of Auto-Cad In geology (Petroleum geology and Engineering geology) ?

Auto-cad is used for creating diagrams for presentations.  I believe that it is kind of antiquated for that purpose.

Most geology and geophysics interpretation packages can create very complex cross sections and then output them for use in making presentation grade posters or powerpoint presentations.

In larger companies, the geologist and geophysicist must "sell" their prospects to management to get them to commit funds to drill them.  So it is necessary to create good presentation graphics to show the executives what it is they are being asked to spend money on.

I used auto cad years ago and it is still being used by engineering companies to create vector images such as engineering diagrams and design blueprints to scale.

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas