Geology/petroleum geology

asalam o alikum Sir, i hope u r fine and enjoying best of your health.
Sir i have question regarding potwar basin that why all the discoveries are concentrated toward north only and all wells went dry near Salt range thrust like Nurpur, Ghabir, Jatla, Dhermund, Kalarkahar?

Dear Saba,

Thanks for sending me your question.

It would be erroneous to elaborate the reasons of failure of prospects drilled near the Salt Range thrust without knowing the geological reasons and could not be ascertained unless one should review all relevant geological, drilling, seismic and other engineering data. Most common reasons are as follows in any prospect;

1) wells drilled only on surface geology while subsurface geology would have some kind of disharmony with surface. Absence of trap.

2) absence of reservoir facies in any of the above mentioned prospects

3) absence of effective source rock in the vicinity of the prospects (effective means adequate thickness, ample TOC and presence of thermal maturity)

4) absence of effective top and lateral seal

5) very young structuration (late stage trap building after the migration of oil)
6) Poor drilling practices and inadequate testing.

7)Breach of trap by any fault due to post oil accumulation tectonic activity.

In my opinion most likely reasons in those dry structures are 3 and 5. However, as I said above each well needs to be reviewed and only then a firm comment can be made which should be supported by technical data.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist