Geology/petroleum geology

Question
asalam o alikum Sir, i hope u r fine and enjoying best of your health.
Sir i have question regarding potwar basin that why all the discoveries are concentrated toward north only and all wells went dry near Salt range thrust like Nurpur, Ghabir, Jatla, Dhermund, Kalarkahar?

Answer
Dear Saba,

Thanks for sending me your question.

It would be erroneous to elaborate the reasons of failure of prospects drilled near the Salt Range thrust without knowing the geological reasons and could not be ascertained unless one should review all relevant geological, drilling, seismic and other engineering data. Most common reasons are as follows in any prospect;

1) wells drilled only on surface geology while subsurface geology would have some kind of disharmony with surface. Absence of trap.

2) absence of reservoir facies in any of the above mentioned prospects

3) absence of effective source rock in the vicinity of the prospects (effective means adequate thickness, ample TOC and presence of thermal maturity)

4) absence of effective top and lateral seal

5) very young structuration (late stage trap building after the migration of oil)
6) Poor drilling practices and inadequate testing.

7)Breach of trap by any fault due to post oil accumulation tectonic activity.

In my opinion most likely reasons in those dry structures are 3 and 5. However, as I said above each well needs to be reviewed and only then a firm comment can be made which should be supported by technical data.

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany