Geology/Science

Question
Hello Mr. Goff. At my school in Colorado we must do a project about a theoretical civilization that's been hit with a problem. For us, our topsoil has been washed away and we were wondering if you could help us. Our solution is making mass, efficient composting machines along with building to help divert water from the topsoil being farmed on. We wanted to know if these solutions would work and if not how to fix it. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Faisal Abdullah

Answer
Hi Faisal
Thanks for writing. It sounds like an interesting project.

I am not a soils scientist so am not sure about creating new top soil with compost but it seems a good approach if you get the mixture correct. Erosion control using constructed infrastructure is good but also consider bioengineering. Trees and plants do a good job at holding soil in place.

Good Luck!
Mike

Geology

Michael Goff