Geology/The Siberian Plate

I was wondering if you could help me identify the furthest boundaries of the ex-Siberian plate, which, as I understand, has fused with the Baltica plate million of years ago to form just the single Eurasian plate.

I know the Urals are where the two collided, but is it possible to obtain a map that would show historically which parts of Asia were specific to the Siberian plate? For example, I doubt it would only be today's Russia.

Check these sites out they may have some of the answers to your question.

From what I can gather is that the Urals were formed in part by an island arc similar to Japan, that was incorporated when the Siberia collided with Europe forming the ancestral Urals.

Close examination of the maps will show you the various component parts and on the first map, the various rock facies are identified that were incorporated into the Urals.

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas